Thursday, January 6, 2011

January 6


I went through a PowerPoint presentation on regionalism in Canada that I will send to you this afternoon. Your Chapter 14-15 Key Terms and Questions are due tomorrow.


I have sent you some of the essay outlines that we've prepared in the last couple of days to your e-mail accounts. Please read them over! Especially the active citizenship one, since I made that one and we didn't really have a chance to look at in great detail. The key to success on Part A of the Diploma is preparation. Please make sure that you prepare for both the essay and the three source analysis assignments. Review how to write these two different assignments, and prep for potential essays. You'll be glad that you did!

I started looking at the Diploma Exam Study Guide that I've made for you. We'll continue with it tomorrow.

Would you like me to review how to do the three source analysis assignments? Please VOTE on the blog in the comments section! Is this an actual democracy or merely the illusion of democratic choice? We'll see in Friday's class!

Something that I think will be really useful is looking at the old Social 30 essay prompts and what they might look like as 30-1 text-based source prompts for the essay. I made a document that has the old Social 30 essay prompts side-by-side if it were re-worked to be a text-based source for the 30-1 Diploma. Alberta Education has already cannibalized old essay prompts to create the January 2010 and June 2010 WRA II, so they might do it again. This also gives you a chance to look at past tendencies of what Alberta Education asks on Diploma Exams. I hope it's a useful document!

Start doing essay outline prep at home between now and next Thursday! Pick out some text-based source prompts that I gave you in the essay question chart and write essay outlines for them! It's great practice and it will pay dividends.

Don't forget your Trial Final is on Monday, January 10th. This test could potentially wipe your worst test score of the semester. REVIEW!!

Here's a link to student writing samples from the January 2010 Social 30-1 and 30-2 Diploma Exams:

No comments:

Post a Comment